A PIGEON COUPLE, A HOWLER STORY IN MAHABHARATA

Pigeon, hen, and the howler gets heaven for their virtues

After Yudhisthira was crowned as King of Hastinapur, Lord Krishna freed superb Bhishma from all of his sufferings prior to his death and requested him to alleviate Yudhisthira from mourning over the lifeless Kshatriyas thru the way of advising him on Dharma. Yudhishthira asked Bhishma Pitamaha what kind of religion one always gets after saving someone who looks for shelter? In response to the query of Yudhisthira, Bhishma told about the divine story of the pigeon that gave hospitality to an enemy who had reached for a safe haven and additionally invited him to devour his meat. This story was earlier mentioned by Lord Parashurama to King Mandhata’s son Muchukunda of the Ikshvaku dynasty. Let us know about it in brief.

Once upon a time in some great forest a scary Fowler was wandering around. He had very bad conduct. On the earth, he seemed like Kala. His complete body was black and his eyes were red. He had no close friends, no loved ones, and no brothers and sisters. Everybody had abandoned him due to his cruelty.

(Whoever is simply a sinner, should be deserted by the learned men. How can one be useful to others who deceives himself? The person who is cruel, evil, and who abducts souls of others on their face, they're feared as all creatures do from the snakes.)

He went into the wooded area with a net each day, used to kill many birds and sell them within the market. This became his day-by-day work. Dwelling on this mindset That evil man spent a long time there, however, did not recognize his sin. That fowler was always hanging out together with his wife. He became so silly that no other profession seemed right to him.

One day he was walking within the wooded area at that point, there was a strong storm all around. All the trees there seemed to be collapsed due to heavy wind speed. In a second the earth filled with water. It was raining heavily at that time. Fowler stricken by the cold became unconscious and with an anxious heart wandered all around the wooded area. The forest route on which he walked, had already drowned in the water. Due to the speed of rain, many birds had died and returned to the earth. Many were sitting hidden in their nests. Animals were affected by fear and starvation. The fowler was frozen by the cold. That's why he could neither walk nor stand.

In this condition, he saw a female pigeon that had fallen on the ground and was in ache due to cold. Even though that sinful huntsman himself was in terrific hassle then also he picked up that pigeon and put it inside the cage. Irrespective of being tormented by sorrow, he caused sorrow to other living beings too. Because of usually engaged in sin, that sinner sinned at that point in an identical way. Then he found a huge Vanaspati tree, below which many used to take safe haven under its majestic shadow with the preference of getting fruits as if the creator built the tree simplest for benevolence.

Then in an instant the clouds of the sky burst, clear stars began illuminating. Seeing the sky freed from the clouds, shivering with the cold the hunter looked in all directions and thought to himself that his abode was a long way from there. After that, he decided to stay overnight below that tree. Then with folded hands, said to the tree that he would take shelter under the deities whoever used to stay there. He spread leaves on earth and was surrounded by great sorrow with his head on the rock slept there.

On the branch of that tree for a long time, a pigeon lived with its friends. His spouse had gone early in the morning to pick the feed, who didn't come back. That pigeon started to feel very sad for her and began moaning like this, “It has rained heavily today. Till now my dear wife has not come back. What is the purpose for which she has not been able to return yet? Will my beloved be well in this woodland? Without her today this nest looks abandoned. In spite of being full of Son, grandson, great-grandson, and relatives, the house of the householder remains empty without his spouse. The house is not called home, the housewife herself is regarded as home. A house without a spouse is known as a forest. My dear wife whose eyes are somewhat red and the voice is full of sweetness has not yet come today, then what's the point of me being alive. She is virtuous and continually stayed devoted to me, she never ate without feeding me, never took bath before giving me a bath, by no means sat down earlier than making me sit, and used to sleep only when I fell asleep. While I was pleased, she used to blossom with pleasure and while I was sad, she used to drown in sorrow. when I went out, her face used to be depressed and each time I get indignant, she calmed me down by speaking to me sweetly. She continually stayed prepared for her husband's happiness and welfare. That guy is blessed on earth whoever has got this sort of wife. She knows that I'm tired and suffering from hunger. A wife is the helper of a man in his dharma, Artha and Kama. Even while going abroad she acts as a reliable friend for him. His main property is said to be his wife. He who is helpless in this world is likewise helped by way of his spouse in the afterworld. There are no medicines other than the spouse for the afflicted man who is tormented by ailment and has been in hassle for a long time. As a woman, there maybe no other safe haven.”

After hearing the moaning and compassionate statements of the pigeon, his spouse lying in captivity said that, “I am very fortunate that in this way my dear husband is praising my behaviour whether or not or not I have got these in me. A woman should not be considered a woman whose husband isn't always pleased with her. Therefore, the deities also get happy with her. To the person whom the woman marries making Agni a witness, is her husband and he's the supreme god for her.”

While being in captivity, the bird told her unhappy husband, “I desire for your welfare simplest. At this time you save this huntsman who comes to your home in iciness and who is sleeping with hunger. You serve him. The householder who practices his Dharma properly, after his death is going to heaven. You already are a father. Therefore, by means of not taking pity on your very own body, you can do dharma and Artha. deal with this fowler in such a manner, so that his heart becomes satisfied. Don't grieve for me. You can find another female.”

After listening to the spiritual statements of his spouse, that pigeon was happy. In keeping with the Shastra, he Worshiped the hunter diligently and instructed him that, “welcome today. Tell me, how ought to I serve, you should not be disenchanted, you're in your own house at this time. I'm asking with great love; due to the fact you are have come to our residence. If the enemy additionally comes at home, then with due respect he should be honoured. Welcoming guests with hospitality should be the primary religion of the householders doing Pancha maha yajna. A householder who does not perform Pancha Mahayajna rituals, neither obtain this Loka nor Paraloka. So that you inform me of your point with full religion, I can do whatever you say. Do no longer grieve in your heart.”

Hearing this about the pigeon, the hunter said, “at the moment cold is the only hassle, so do something to protect me from it.” The bird brought down many leaves to the earth flew very fast to the blacksmith's house, brought the fire, and put it on dry leaves. There he ignited the fire and said to the guest, “brother! now you have no worry. You preserve yourself warm.” With great pleasure by looking at the pigeon, he said, “brother! Now I am hungry. Consequently, I need to have some food from you.” The pigeon stated, “I do not have property so that I can satisfy your hunger. We are forest birds, we live on feed per day. We do not have any food stock.”

After saying this, the face of the pigeon became sad. He was concerned that what should he do then? After some time he remembered something and that bird asked the fowler to wait for some time in order that he could fulfil his starvation. Then the pigeon lit the fire again with dry leaves and with wonderful joy, said to Vyadha that, “I've worshipped the sages, gods, ancestors, and mahatmas. I have heard that there is exquisite dharma in worshipping the visitor. This is why I additionally worshipped the guest today. You accept me now. I'm telling you the truth.” Having said this, by way of vowing to worship the guest, that wise bird circumambulated the fireplace god three times and gladly entered the fire.

Seeing the bird inside the fire, the huntsman was worried about what he had done. He lamented by saying that, “this is the most terrible and greatest sin in my life. What sin have I committed by my cruelty and mindlessness? I have made my life in this type of manner that I am constantly guilty of sin. I'm a man of an exceptional wicked mind, nobody should believe in me. My toughness and cruelty have grown to be the principle of life. Leaving true deeds, I have killed birds. This notable Pigeon sacrificed his body. There is no doubt that by way of giving up this, he cautioned me to end up spiritual. Now I turn my back on sin, sacrifice my life and leave my wife and son. From nowadays I deprive my body of all pleasures. I will dry up my body like a small pond in summer dries up. Bearing the ache of hunger, thirst, and sunlight, I will make it so weak that the nerves spread will be truly visible. through doing this, I will earn the virtue of improving the hereafter. Mahatma pigeon gave his body out of hospitality for his religion before me, so Now I will additionally exercise Dharma because Dharma is the ultimate truth. As Dharma is visible in that virtuous bird, I want the same.” by saying so, he determined to walk on the route of Mahaprasthana. At that point, he freed the caged hen and left his sticks, rod mesh cage.

On leaving, the woman pigeon grieved by way of remembering her husband and said, “Dearest! I don't ever recollect you harm me. Women notwithstanding having many sons drown in grief after being husbandless. For her brothers and sisters also becomes deplorable. You constantly cherished me and treated me with wonderful respect. You have got given me affection and made me satisfied together with your nice and sweet words. I used to be always fortuitously with you inside the caves of the mountains, at the banks of rivers, around waterfalls, and in the sky. Now, none of these pleasures is left in my life. Father, brother, and son give finite happiness to a woman, only the husband provides infinite or limitless pleasure. Which spouse won't worship her husband? After sacrificing money and all only her husband is everything in her life. Now, what's the point of this life without you? Which virtuous lady would live on without her husband?' By lamenting compassionately in many ways like this she also entered the fire. Thereafter she saw her husband wearing strange garments and ornaments and was sitting on the viman. Many virtuous mahatmas had been praising him wholeheartedly. Accordingly, the bird sitting on the superior viman then went to heaven together with his wife and stayed happily at the same time as being worshipped for his excellent deeds.

The hunter watched both the birds in divine form, flying away on the viman in the sky on the way. Seeing those divine couple, the huntsman started thinking about that salvation. That fowler abandoned everything, started out dwelling on air. He took away affection from all things apart from heaven's preference. Going ahead, he located a huge and delightful lake. That one was decorated with lotus clusters. Variety of Waterfowl was chirping in it. That pond was complete of cold water and felt very pleasant. Irrespective of how thirsty he was, even then without looking there, with great pleasure he entered the forest. Fowler in that wooded area determined to reach the goal. As soon as he entered, he got trapped within the thorny bushes. His complete body became pierced and bled In that uninhabited forest full of numerous wild animals. He started wandering here and there. Because of strong winds the rubbing of trees with each other, there was a fire broke out. Massive flames of the fire started rising. The raging fire god started burning that forest. It was surrounded through sparks and flames blown by way of the wind and started burning the forest. Fowler in the mind to give up his body filled with pleasure and gaiety ran in the direction of that growing fire. After that, All sins were destroyed by way of being burnt there and he attained the ultimate perfection. In a short, while he saw himself that he was happily seated in heaven along with many yakshas, Gandharvas. In this way the hen, pigeon, and Fowler achieved heaven.

(Similarly, a female who follows her husband, may additionally soon be situated in heaven like a Kapoti. Following the religion of saving those who are searching for shelter is a superb religion. By doing so, the sins of the men who even slaughter a cow atone their sins. The only one who kills the refugee never gets rid of this sin. Outstanding Kings like Shibi carried out ultimate accomplishment through protecting people who seek shelter.)

Ref: Mahabharata Book Shanti Parva

Read more about the greatness of King Shibi mentioned in Mahabharata book..