ADVICE OF PYTHONIC INSTINCT TO PRAHLADA IN MAHABHARATA

Brahmin explains about Ajagarvritti to Prahlada

After Yudhisthira was crowned as King of Hastinapur, Lord Krishna freed great Bhishma from all of his sufferings before his death and asked him to relieve Yudhisthira from mourning over the dead Kshatriyas by the manner of advising him on Dharma. Yudhishthira asked his grandfather by adopting what sort of behaviour should a man be without sorrow and roam on this earth and by doing what works in this world should he obtain the great path? In response, Bhishma said about the superb Ajagarvritti or pythonic instinct that was mentioned within the form of dialogue among the Demon king Prahlada, the son of Hiranyakashipu and a monk residing with Ajgarvritti. Let us understand it in short.

The wise king Prahlada, seeing a strong-minded brahmin, free from sorrow and information, wandering on the earth, asked him that, “Brahmin! you are healthy, strong, gentle, triumphant, who live far from the beginning of work, do not observe the faults of others, speak beautiful and sweet words, fearless, proficient, intelligent and philosophical, have been travelling like a youth. You do no longer desire any profit and grieve for the loss. Even as being continuously glad, you do not consider anything dear, or unpleasant. People get swept away via the glide of lust, anger and so forth. But from there you appear neutral and also seem indifferent to the work associated with Dharma, Artha and Kama. You do not perform rituals associated with Dharma and Artha. Even in the Kama, you do not have a tendency. You are freely roaming around as a witness, ignoring all the objects of the senses. What form of intellect, Scripture and manner do you have, which has made your life like this? What are the means of honour for me in this world consistent with your opinion?

On asking Prahlada on this way, that meritorious sage, who knew the regulation of human beings religion, stated to him in a sweet and meaningful voice, “Prahlada! the creation, growth, devastation and destruction of the creatures on this world have been brought on only by means of the Supreme Soul. It is why I neither express pleasure nor anguish for them. It ought to be understood that the present tendencies of living beings have been manifested simplest via the nature formed according to their preceding actions. Therefore all of the people are impulsive, they don't have any other refuge. Understanding this, one must not be persuaded underneath any situations. All union ends simplest in separation and all of the accumulations lead to destruction. Seeing all this I don't set my thoughts anywhere. For the one who sees all beings as perishable and is aware of the principle of origin and destruction, what work stays right here for him? I see the destruction of small bugs and huge fishes like Timi, and many others, who are born inside the ocean. I can truly see the loss of life of all the immovable and movable life on the earth. Death arrives in time even in the front of a mighty bird that moves within the sky. The small and big luminaries that are scattered inside the sky, I additionally see them falling from time to time.

In this way, all beings are inside the loop of death, so knowing the essence, I do an act of gratitude, I sleep peacefully, having an identical feeling for everyone. If I accidentally get more food with the aid of will then I consume a lot, if I get mere grass, then also I accept. If I do not get anything in any respect, I sleep without ingesting and consuming for lots of days. Then many people come and feed me a variety of meals. Again, very little food I get and now and again even that is also not available. In this way, I preserve getting all kinds of food, good and terrible. Occasionally I sleep on the mattress, every so often I stay on the earth and sometimes I also get a precious bed lying within the palace. Sometimes I put on rags or vulkals, occasionally eccentric, silk and sometimes deerskin, in any other case at any one time I too wear many valuables garments. If divinely I get any religion-pleasant material, neither I do seek it out of desire nor do I ever desire rare enjoyment on receiving or losing. I follow this python instinct always with a pure spirit. It is very strong, a well-wisher to keep away from demise, mourning and is pure, fortunate for unique and learned. Foolish men neither accept as true with it nor do it. My intellect is unmoved, I have now not departed from my religion, my worldly behaviour has come to be restricted, I have an understanding of the Uttam and the Adhama, fear, anger and hatred, Greed and illusions are discarded from my heart and I practice this pythonic fast with a pure spirit. This python related instinct gives happiness to my heart. There may be no fixed arrangement for getting meals, drinks and fruits and so forth.

In this instinct, the division of time and area is fixed as consistent with the outcome of Prarabdha. The greedy lowly humans do not practice this vritti. One that usually keeps his thoughts in acquiring materials only out of desire, is suffocated via the anger and constantly grieve due to not getting it. Seeing the situation of such human beings, I'm endowed with elemental intellect, I conduct this fasting with a pure soul. I see that even the high quality of men take refuge of the lowly ones for the sake of wealth. Seeing this I calmed down my interest, got my aspect and have ended up relaxed. Happiness and sorrow, profit and loss, favourable and destructive and life and death are all beneath the management of God. In this manner, knowing the truth, I conduct this ajagarvritti with pure intention.

My fear, attachment, choice and pride have been destroyed. I am completely non-violent from my mind and intellect. Due to Prarabdha, I consume only the thing that has come to me, conduct this fasting with devotion, there is no fixed place for my napping and sitting. I'm full of strength, rules, fasting, truth and cleanliness. My accumulation of karma has been destroyed. I've attained expertise by seeing such self-realized great persons who have come to be detached from all of the objects of desire that creates sorrow. That is why I conduct this Ajagar vritti to subdue the erratic thoughts, which is by craving. Ignoring the mind, speech and intellect, the objects they love -the rarity and impermanence of pleasures, like the person who sees these two, I conduct this vritti. After deep reasoning and discourse from the opinion of oneself and others, this vritti has been explained in lots of methods that must be executed. Silly people, hearing this python's instinct, bear in mind it to be as dreadful as falling from the top of a mountain. But their notion is different. This pythonic instinct is free from all defects and foolishness. Therefore by means of relinquishing the craving and grudges, I wander around.”

(By way of following this pythonic instinct, first-rate men abandon fear, greed, attachment and anger, have equal feelings closer to all, live neutral and roam without grief in this world. We ought to learn to be like them.)

Ref: Mahabharata book Shanti Parva

Read more about the conversation of Indra and Kashyapa on committing suicide..