RESCUE OF KEKEYA KING FROM DEMON

Kekeya King escapes from Demon for his virtues 

After Yudhisthira was crowned as King of Hastinapur, Lord Krishna freed magnificent Bhishma from all his sufferings prior to his demise and asked him to alleviate Yudhisthira from mourning over the lifeless Kshatriyas by way of advising him on Dharma. Bhishma advised him about the religion of kings in the direction of protecting Brahmins and gave him an instance of Kekeya king who was kidnapped via a terrifying demon and later was rescued due to his saintliness. Let us know about it in brief.

Once upon a time, Kekaya king lived in the forest. He used to examine strict penance and Svadhyaya or self-study of Vedas there. One day he was caught by way of a fierce demon. Seeing this, the king said to the demon, “in my kingdom, there is not a single thief, miser, drunkard or someone not performing Agnihotra or Yajna then, How did you enter my body? There is no single brahmin in my kingdom who is not a scholar, one that doesn't observe the vow, and any person who in no way drinks somaras in the yajna: one that is not an Agnihotri or a Yajnakarta. In my kingdom, all Dvijas carry out distinct varieties of rituals Yajnas consisting of fair Dakshina. No person does the study of Vedas without observing the vow of celibacy, then how did you enter inside my body?

The brahmins of my state at the same time of studying and performing yajnas, give and receive donations. Thus they're attached to the six Karmas of Brahmanochit. All the brahmins of my nation are eager for their respective works. They're mild and sincere. All of them get a stipend from my kingdom and they're worshipped by me. Despite the fact that it kept on happening, you entered my body. How was it possible?

The Kshatriyas who are in my kingdom are doing high-quality of their described Varnochit Karmas. They study the Vedas, however, do not teach; carry out yajna but do not organize it, give charity, but do not take themselves. In my kingdom Kshatriyas do not plead but provide things to individuals who beg. They are honest and proficient in religion. They protect brahmins and in no way run away from battle then, how did you capture me? The Vaishyas of my country also are engaged in their very own karma. They make a living from farming, cow safety, and trading, barring fraud and always interact in virtuous deeds without falling into pleasure. They comply with the fine vows and are trustworthy, devour by giving to the guests, maintain the senses in control, preserve concord with all Even then, how did you get me? Even the Shudras here live with the aid of the continuous service of the three Varnas. They live and stay away from the evil concept. In the same manner, they are additionally positioned in their works.

I keep giving essential objects like food, clothes, and medicines to the sick, the orphan, the old, the poor, the and the woman. I've followed my clan religion, country religion, and caste religion. I've always worshipped the ascetic monks of my country, Have protected and given them the necessary things with hospitality. Yet how is it feasible for you to enter my body? I by no means eat food without offering it to the deities, ancestors, and guests, and so forth. By no means remains in relation with other ladies. In my nation, one that doesn't observe celibacy by no means asks for alms, and the ascetics or any beggars can't live without performing celibacy. I in no way perform Homa without Ritwijas; Then how did you enter inner me? At the same time as Being at the throne, I did all of the work of the nation. I never despise the scholars, the old, and the ascetic. I do not sleep whilst my people sleep, I stay awake to shield them. I always perform pious and righteous works everywhere, I do not worry about trouble anywhere. As a Grihastha person, I practice righteousness. How did you get me?

My wise priests and ascetics are enlightened, and skilled of all religions. They are the lord of the complete country. I wish to study via giving money. By way of being honest and shielding of Brahmins I want to get favoured rewards (Punyaloka) and serve the gurus to be with them. Consequently, I never fear demons. No lady is a widow in my nation and no brahmin is a wicked, sly, thief and never perform yajna for unauthorized and not a sinner. This is why I have no fear for demons. There is no such part in my body left that is not being injured via weapons while fighting within the war. The humans dwelling in my country usually desire wellness for the cows, Brahmins, and Yajnas then, How did you enter my body?”

The demon said to the king that, “people get fear due to injustice of king, terrible karmas of brahmins and from the adultery of women. There's no rain in the country, epidemic spreads, there is usually the worry of starvation and horrible warfare breaks out wherein these faults arise. In which the brahmins are leading a restrained life, there may be no fear of Yakshas, demons, and so on. King! You only observe religion in all the situations, So go home safely. wish you well! I'll leave now. The king who protects the cows and brahmins and bear in mind ruling his human beings as his religion, there is no fear of demons or even from fire. In front of whom all the brahmins go, whose incredible strength are brahmins and the citizens of whose kingdom are the enthusiasts of hospitality for the guests, those kings have power over heaven.”

Ref: Mahabharata book Shanti Parva

Read about the remedies of Karmic consequences said by Vyasa..